Question:
Why are transgenders the unwanted, red-headed step-child of the LGBT?
2007-08-16 17:55:33 UTC
The LGBs insist that transgendered persons are part of their community, yet transgenders are left to take the leftovers and fiend for themselves. Whenever there is political action, the GLBs often fight for their rights at the exclusion of TGs. They often see TGs as a threat, and are afraid TGs will cost LGBs their victories. If gays are too afraid to help TGs, and only consider them an afterthought, then why do they include them at all or consider them to be allies?

Why not replace the term LGBT with TG? A transgender is someone who violates society's rules in regards to gender, right? Society says that men are not to dress as women nor have sex with men. So whether you are a man who dresses as a woman, a man who lives as a woman to some degree, or a man who chooses to have sex with men, then you are violating society's rules for how men should behave. So instead of TGs being a part of the LGBT, aren't LGBs really types of transgendered people?
Twelve answers:
2007-08-16 18:14:17 UTC
Hey us 'B' people are treated like crap too. Heck, there are lots of L & G folks who don't even believe we exist. The problem is that acceptance even in the LGBT community isn't unconditional. Until there is complete understanding amongst the four groups there will continue to be dissension.
Zombie
2007-08-16 20:47:53 UTC
First, I base my answer on the distinction between transgender and transsexual. It has been my experience that many self-proclaimed transgenders expect that to mean the same thing as "pre-op transsexual", while the reality is, they are gender variant and do not admit it. I'm perfectly cool with gender variant people if they are honest.

But I am cool with any orientation or gender who is honest.

I think that hiding one's gender variance behind the label and/or pretense of something else can be hurtful to the image and the fight for equal rights by honest LGB & TSs.

And I don't see how LGB can be lumped together with TG or TS (although it nearly always is) since a TG or TS can be LGB, but LGBs are mostly not TG or TS. Orientation isn't the same as gender.

But I'm not big on dividing people into specialized little groups who are for or against other groups. I'm in love with the dream of all nice, honest, decent human beings getting along and helping each other regardless of differences in race, religion, gender, orientation, political choices, etc.

In other words, can't we all just get along? :)
paulaj2006
2007-08-17 01:54:45 UTC
I'm going to agree with ~D~ on most of her points. The TG want to be a part of the TS community as well as the GLB community. Trying to have the best of both worlds only confuses the general public about what the TS is doing and who they are.
Mystery Lady H
2007-08-16 18:27:51 UTC
Well I am transsexual (transgender or whatever you want to call it) and I have found a great deal of acceptance from the LGB community. I have in fact only ever run into one gay/bisexual person who was not accepting of me.

Also you're confusing gender and sexuality yet again. Sexuality (gay, lesbian, bisexual) refers to your gender PREFERENCE when it comes to romance/sex. Gender is what you feel you are. You can be a transperson with any orientation.
startrektosnewenterpriselovethem
2007-08-16 18:29:10 UTC
No TG is a special group just like LGB and need to be acknowledged and kept as a separate category
rose p
2007-08-16 18:25:27 UTC
I'm very sorry. I did not realize that the T's were not treated well. For myself, I think it must take an enormous amount of courage to go through all the steps to achieve your goal and to accept what disappointments there may be, if any.

Best wishes,

Rose P.
carora13
2007-08-16 20:41:45 UTC
I think the problem is that there isn't really a LGBT communit*y*. There's really the L, G, B, and sometimes T communit*ies* that every once in a while work together but usually hate each other.
2007-08-16 18:36:34 UTC
Why is this even an issue?

A persons sexuality is a private matter.

The Partner you each chose is between the two individuals.

It isn't a "community" event

I tend to think that like with heteros those who talk alot about it aren't gettin it.
2007-08-16 19:55:52 UTC
I love transgenders. I think they are the bravest people in the world.
2007-08-16 18:11:57 UTC
the community has a few stepchildren . but not all gays get snooty about trannies . In time everyone will honor them .
flash
2007-08-17 13:41:00 UTC
I think it's because not all transgendered people are gay.
cdr dsw = <3 [11/1/10]
2007-08-16 18:19:35 UTC
yea well us bi's aren't treated very well either....but i do agree with you